Thursday, January 24, 2013

Breakaway Bakery (Los Angeles, CA)

Yesterday, I made a trip to Breakaway Bakery on my way home.   Traffic was awful and I almost decided not to make the stop and just get home.  But I am so glad that I didn't!

According to their website, the bakery's products contain "no gluten, wheat, dairy, casein, peanuts, gums, soy*, treanuts*, or preservatives."  If I can recall correctly, everything is gluten-free, but not everything is vegan.  (I apologize if I am incorrect on that!)

I was blown away with all of the options--cookies, brownies, bars, cakes, cupcakes, buns, breads, bagels, donuts...you name it.  I purchased a "Figaroll" with orange, a couple oatmeal chocolate chip cookies, mini vegan chocolate donuts, mint brownie dippers and a loaf of bread.  I've tried everything but the bread so far.  The mint brownie dippers are my favorite.  The Figaroll was great and it would be perfect with tea or coffee.  I am eating the vegan donut as I type and surprisingly, it actually does not taste "vegan."  I've had a few different donuts from Babycakes NYC and I have mixed feelings about those.   I think that Breakaway does a better job with the frosting and compensating for no dairy.  Plus, I'm pretty sure I purchased double the amount of goods from Breakaway than I do at Babycakes.

Another note:  The woman at the bakery told me that they bake their breads on Tuesdays.  On Thursdays, they bake Challah bread, which can also be ordered in bagel-form.  You can custom order any of their breads and add things such as jalapenos, etc.

The only downside is that the neighborhood is not so nice, but nevertheless, I will definitely return!  

Address:  
5264 W. Pico Blvd. LA, CA 90019 
Phone: (310) 968-9380 

 http://breakawaybakery.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment